Go Back   SolidHost Forums Sales Pre-Sales

Old May 21st, 2007, 11:43   #1
optrex
Customer

Question Fully Managed VPS

Hello,

Your site has been recommended to me as I am looking at moving from shared hosting to VPS.

Ive just started a VPS trial with my host and to be honest I am totally lost. The environment is so alien to me that I am struggling to do the basics. Everything is my responsibility and the versions of apps supplied are so out of date, the first thing I need to do is upgrade everything.

I notice that your VPS is fully managed. I've not come across this before as my current host does not offer this service on their VPS, so I just need to clarify a few points.

If I needed to upgrade to the latest version of say PHP or Mysql, would this be done fore me under a normal support ticket, free of charge?

If I needed patches and updates to the operating system or for security is this done also? Is it automatic or a manual request?

My old host offer Fedora Core 4 (which I have since learnt is no longer supported). You offer CentOS 4, but I have noticed that CentOS 5 is out now - would I be able to upgrade the operating systems as needed?

Obviously I want to move to VPS for the higher end server specifications for my sites. So getting up and running quickly and securely are important. Learning how to operate the new platform is something I need to do, but its no so important at this stage. Does your managed package offer what I need?
optrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 17:56   #2
Scorpinus
Customer

I would go with a SolidHost starter VPS in combination with a controle panel like cPanel.

cPanel comes completely installed (by solidhost) with php, mysql and about every application you or your clients would need.

When you get a controle panel with your VPS solidhost will also (if you would like them to) configure firewall services etc for you.

The operations system question I can't answer. But I recon eventually solidhost will upgrade to Cent OS 5
Scorpinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 20:40   #3
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

CentOS 5 was only released very recently and no OS templates are available for Virtuozzo yet. We do expect these to come available in the near future, and when they do, we will test and implement them.

As to whether it's possible to upgrade from CentOS4 to CentOS5: I'm not absolutely sure, but I do think it's unlikely that that will be possible (since with older versions that was never possible either).

Then again, CentOS 4 has proven to be a very reliable and complete OS, so there is no reason as to why it shouldn't be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optrex
If I needed patches and updates to the operating system or for security is this done also? Is it automatic or a manual request?
All OS related matters are handled by us on the host server, meaning you will never have to worry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optrex
If I needed to upgrade to the latest version of say PHP or Mysql, would this be done fore me under a normal support ticket, free of charge?
Absolutely, that comes with all of our VPS's as a standard.

Whether you are a linux expert or if the environment is absolutely alien to you - it doesn't matter - all our VPS's are fully managed, meaning we are right by your side to assist you at any time. For instance if you are unsure about security precautions, you could simply just ask our support team to fully secure your VPS based on your needs, and they'll take care of it. You're also more than welcome to ask us any questions about your control panel if you have any.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:27   #4
optrex
Customer

Many thanks for the replies. I think its time to give you a try.
optrex is offline   Reply With Quote