Go Back   SolidHost Forums Sales Pre-Sales

Old May 16th, 2007, 20:46   #1
MrDoom
Customer

Default VPS and SVN

Hi, I'm considering renting a Starter Linux VPS to run a SVN and Trac server and 2 or 3 small websites.

I was wondering if any of your technicians had experience setting up SVN and/or Trac servers because although I can do it, my method probably isn't the most secure and it certainly isn't the most flexible since every user can access any repo.

That said, any sort of help setting this up would be appreciated.

Thanks.
MrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 22:27   #2
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Hi,

We do not have any direct experience with SVN or Trac, however I do know of at least 1 customer who is running Trac on one of our VPS's without problems. As for SVN; I've read up on it a littlebit and I see no reason as to why it shouldn't work in a VPS environment.

If you'd like, we can set you up with a trial VPS for a few days so you can see whether everything works as desired. If you'd like that, please contact sales@solidhost.com with a reference to this ticket. They'll be able to work things out with you.

If you have any further questions, just let us know.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 23:25   #3
MrDoom
Customer

Ok, thanks for the fast response.

I'll probably take you up on the trial offer but it won't be until next week. I'll have to read up a bit on using SVN with CentOS before then.

If everything went ok on the trail, would it be possible for me to carry it on using one of the coupons for a free control panel?

Last edited by MrDoom; May 16th, 2007 at 23:28.
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:19   #4
SH-John
Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoom View Post
Ok, thanks for the fast response.

I'll probably take you up on the trial offer but it won't be until next week. I'll have to read up a bit on using SVN with CentOS before then.

If everything went ok on the trail, would it be possible for me to carry it on using one of the coupons for a free control panel?
Hello,

Yes, that would be fine. You will be given instructions on how to do this if you decide to keep the VPS after the trial period.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

-----------------
Best Regards,
John Strong
SolidHost Chief Operational Officer
SH-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 22:20   #5
MrDoom
Customer

I've been messing around with a spare computer trying to get SVN and Trac running on CentOS 4, SVN has installed, err somewhere, Trac has installed but is still missing ClearSilver. (I'm doing this as a test before I try it on a VPS).

On your VPS', is it possible for you to do things like install Python, PostgreSQL and ClearSilver (with Python Bindings)?
Old May 21st, 2007, 22:31   #6
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Our management when it comes to software installation only includes software that's supported by your control panel (cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin). That does include Python and PostgreSQL, but I'm not sure whether ClearSilver is supported out of the box.

Regardless, even though ClearSilver may not fall within our management, our techs could still take a look at it for you to see whether they can help out with it. Please note that this would be based on best-effort support though.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 15:55   #7
MrDoom
Customer

Hmm, one more thing has just occurred to me, are these systems running the i386 or the x86_64 version of CentOS?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 15:59   #8
SH-John
Customer

Hello,

They are running on the i386 32bit version of CentOS.

-----------------
Best Regards,
John Strong
SolidHost Chief Operational Officer
SH-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 18:38   #9
Scorpinus
Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoom View Post
I'm doing this as a test before I try it on a VPS.
You could always backup your entire VPS, try something and when it fails or it doesn't go as you would like you can always restore your entire VPS from that backup.

There is a simple backup and restore button in your VPS Virtuozzo control panel.
Scorpinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 15:49   #10
MrDoom
Customer

Ha ha, that's cool I didn't know about that.

Well, I'm currently doing this is Virtual PC, so I can do the same thing. The reason for me doing it beforehand is that if I only have a few days to get it working on the VPS, I may run out of time. (This is my 4th day at this now, and 4th start from scratch now).

Almost done, just some small path bugs in the apache conf files to sort out then I can try it for real.

One more question while I'm replying, do these systems have SELinux on, and if so, can it be turned off?