Go Back   SolidHost Forums Sales Pre-Sales

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 14:38   #1
Tangy
Customer

Lightbulb VPS Pre-Sale Question

Hey,

Until recently i was hosted by DEHE but have decided to part due to a few reasons i shall not mention.

But basically i'm looking into purchasing a VPS here as it's closer to home anyway, having a VPS in Europe is more realistic for someone in the Uk.

Is it only posible to have Centos installed on my VPS? I notice Debian is listed but is not fully managed and not available in the order system.

I ran Debian quite sucessfully previously and was happy with it.

What level of management would be offered with it should this be available for installation with my VPS?

Thanks,
James.
Tangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 14:44   #2
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Hi James,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Debian is available by request, and indeed our management services are not fully included with it. This means that you would be responsible for the configuration of the services (on the VPS) yourself, and you would also be responsible for managing the security aspects (such as a firewall). With CentOS this kind of management is included, you could then just open a support ticket and ask us to set it up for you.

The thing is; if you would like us to do things like that for you (security configuration, services configuration, etc), then it shouldn't matter to you whether the OS is CentOS or Debian, since only the command line syntax is different (and you wouldn't have to work with that anyway in case we take care of the management for you). There's no difference when it comes to stability.

Kind regards,

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 14:50   #3
Tangy
Customer

I guess thats true, my previous experience with Centos was that it was a bit bulky..

But with DEHE most things were left down to myself to handle, but i guess if someone else can do those things for me then it could be a sacrifice worth taking.

Thanks for the swift response Andre, greatly appreciated.

I'll think about it.

James.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 16:28   #4
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Hi James,

DEHE's been out of our hands since August 2006 so I can't really judge about that, but I can assure you that we will take care of everything that we promise. Once you receive your account details, just open a support ticket and our guys will help you the best way they can.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 16:32   #5
Tangy
Customer

Oh yes i know all the gory details Andre, take the fact that ive signed up here to my opinion on what has happened at that point and thereafter....

Hoping this hosting venture is a good one, so far it's looking pretty good!.

James.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 21:34   #6
LFFPicard
Customer

Tangy,

If you have not yet put your order in i highly suggest you do.
I have had a CentOS VPS with Solidhost for only a coupel months now but it has been the most reliable server i have ever purchased.

Like yourself i used to be with DEHE and after a few issues i moved to Solidhost (I was originally a Solidhost customer form the moment they set up bsuiness but moved to DEHE as they offered the VPS at the time)

The VPS is fast, stable and very easy to manage, myself i have DirectAdmin on the server, and not being used to it one afternoon talking to a Engineer via support ticket and i am now as familier with DirectAdmin as i was with Cpanel.

Like i said i would highly recommend a CentOS VPS from Solidhost.
LFFPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 21:58   #7
Tangy
Customer

I have an account now indeed,

Am very impressed with support times compared to DEHE more recently anyway...

I've actually switched to cPanel from DA, i've had an extremely hard time selling DA...

Personally having used cPanel and DA i'd say i preffered DA, but from a customer stand point, they all follow the trend like a flock of sheep...so if you can't beat them, join them!

James.

-----------------
Thanks,
James.
Tangy.ws
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 23:15   #8
LFFPicard
Customer

I have the advantage there where my server is for personal use and a couple friends, so they either liek ti or lump it

But if i was to approuch it at a business angle i would see if i could get both DA and cPanel available for the customers.
This may make Admin level manegment harder but it pleases both sides of the fence.

Gary
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 00:21   #9
Tangy
Customer

Lol yeh,

Hopefully, if my new venture takes off well then i would have the possibility of bringing DA back into the picture, depending on the crowd i attract to the site....

But at the moment, thats somewhat in the distance!

James.

-----------------
Thanks,
James.
Tangy.ws
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:26   #10
LFFPicard
Customer

Good luck on your ventures then Tangy