Go Back   SolidHost Forums Support Forums DNS Questions

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 08:42   #1
Linux_Cat
Customer

Default ls713.solidrack.com resolves problem

Hi I keep recieving this email every once & a while....

IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
The hostname (ls713.solidrack.com) resolves to . It should resolve to 65.254.32.146. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the 'A' entry in zone file for the domain.

Some are all of these problems can be caused by
/etc/resolv.conf being setup incorrectly. Please check this file if you
believe everything else is correct.

You may be able to
automaticly correct this problem by using the ' Add an A entry for your
hostname ' under ' Dns Functions ' in your Web Host Manager

__________________________________________________ __

My /etc/hosts is
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
65.254.32.146 ls713.solidrack.com ls713
127.0.0.1 localhost

My /etc/resolv.conf is
nameserver 63.247.72.109
nameserver 63.247.72.110

__________________________________________________ __

My Server IP is 65.254.32.146

So is the above /etc/hosts & /etc/resolv.conf settings correct & if not, which do I change?

Thanks in advance.
Linux_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 12:04   #2
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Firstly, you should set up your own nameservers. To do this, you can only use the IP addresses that have been assigned to you.

We originally assigned the hostname ls713.solidrack.com to your server, but this is just temporary. You should set up your own hostname, something like anything_here.yourdomain.com. You have to use a domain which has a DNS zone on your server (or in case you are using a remote DNS server, you can use that too).

As far as I remember you are using cPanel, correct? In WHM, go to edit setup, and change the hostname of the server. It usually asks whether or not you want to add an A entry, if so, click Yes. If this isn't done automatically you can do it manually: go to Edit DNS zones, scroll to the domain that you are using for the hostname. In the next screen, scroll to the bottom, and add:

anyname_here 14400 A your_ip

Replace anyname_here by the name you used in anyname_here.yourdomain.com. Replace your_ip by your desired IP address (has to be an IP address which is assigned to your server.

Regards,

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 21:15   #3
Linux_Cat
Customer

Basicaly Im running a couple of game servers off the box, so I dont actually need Name Servers, I won't be running any web stuff from that box at all.
Is there a way to set it up with out doing the name servers?
Thanks for the reply Admin.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:32   #4
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Well, having nameservers can have an advantage, you can give your IP addresses a hostname, so you can connect to clanserver.clanname.com for example, instead of the IP.

If you really don't want to have nameservers on this server, you could use the DNS zone of the DNS server where your main domain name is hosted (I assume you have a domain name somewhere). You could add the A-entry in the DNS zone of that domain.

If you don't want that either, and just want to keep ls713.solidrack.com as your hostname (most people don't want this, because you can see the hostname when connecting to the IP, so it's generally better for your own image to use a hostname with your own domain name in it) that's possible though. If so, please send a request to support@solidrack.com to have an A entry added for the hostname ls713.solidrack.com with your IP address to which it should resolve. As soon as we have received the request we will add this A-entry for you then.

Best regards,

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 00:23   #5
Linux_Cat
Customer

Quote:
If you really don't want to have nameservers on this server, you could use the DNS zone of the DNS server where your main domain name is hosted (I assume you have a domain name somewhere). You could add the A-entry in the DNS zone of that domain.
This part I would like to try & set up,
we have our own DNS server which is tied into our main url.

Can you give me a step by step run through regarding doing this...
Assuming our domain name was MYDOMAIN.COM & our name servers were NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM & NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM
how would I enter this info into cPanel.

Sorry aint tried this before but it would certainly suit our needs.

PS: I'm surrprised these forums are not more active.
We Searched along time for a suitable East Coat host to add to our growing network of DC's, our current server is running very smooth & the networks are fantasic thus far.
You can definately expect more business from us & once the word gets out I'm sure these forums will start to fill up.

Thanks for the reply Admin
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 16:10   #6
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

It should indeed be good, especially for the customers themselves, if people would use these forums more often. Ofcourse we provide great support through support tickets, but by posting here you can also get imput from other users. Thank you for your positive imput

On your server that you have with us, go to "Change Hostname". There change the hostname to anyname.domain.com.

It is important to choose a hostname that you will not be using for any account. You should choose something that will be socially accpetable, as it will appear in all mail headers. Your hostname must be a FQDN. In english, A hostname should consist of a name and a domain name. All valid hostnames should have 2 dots in them. Hostnames should never begin with "www".

Once you have done this, go to the DNS zone of this domain, on your DNS server. In the DNS zone of domain.com, add the following A entry like this:

anyname 14400 A IP-address-here

Explanation:
anyname - replace this by whatever you entered in anyname.domain.com
14400 - this is the time to live, you can leave this unchanged
A - indicating that this is an A entry, you have to leave this unchanged
IP-address-here - you have to change this with the main IP of your server (the SolidRack server).

I can also recommend to add the correct PTR entry (reverse DNS) for the hostname. You cannot do this yourself. To have this done, please email support@solidrack.com with your hostname (anyname.domain.com) and the IP you are using for your hostname.

Regards,

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:15   #7
Linux_Cat
Customer

Thanks Admin Ill try this tonight
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:37   #8
Linux_Cat
Customer

Appears to have worked a treat, thanks again Admin.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 21:43   #9
Linux_Cat
Customer

Admin.
We just got another box, I want to set it up much the same way as the one above.
Cannot remember how I did the Resolver Setup though.

If Im using eas2.mysite.com with the boxes IP added as an A record to our sites DNS & ent the request to support as above.

What do I place in the Resolver setup?

Primary Resolver = 127.0.0.1 <--?
Secondary Resolver = ?
Teritary Resolver = ?

Or does it matter.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 11:50   #10
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

You should change these settings to the following:

Primary Resolver = 127.0.0.1
Secondary Resolver = first IP of the server
Teritary Resolver = second IP of the server

That's only when you are using named, but I assume you do.

As for the main server IP, don't forget to request reverse DNS (PTR).

Good luck with your new server!

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock