Go Back   SolidHost Forums Support Forums Control Panel Questions

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 18:47   #11
vista
Customer

Quote:
I'm not sure who replied to the ticket, but if you can tell me the ticket number I'll take a look at it for you.
If you want to take a look the ticket number is 559078. Just to be clear though i'm in no way suggesting that the ticket was not dealt with properly. Your support team were probably not aware of the fact that the VPS system was setup just for script testing.

Turning to the more important matter thanks for your reply, that does actually make it much clearer now. One question though, if WHM doesn't check whether the Ip is assigned to an account does it really matter? If, for example, solidhost were setting up a reseller account would you ensure that the nameserver ips had not been assigned to an account or doesn't it really matter?

Is there an option within WHM to manually setup the nameserver IPs, i have only found an auto assign facility?
vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 19:00   #12
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista
If, for example, solidhost were setting up a reseller account would you ensure that the nameserver ips had not been assigned to an account or doesn't it really matter?
Yes, definitely that does matter. We assign (by default) two IPs for a reseller account. Those are used for the reseller's nameservers and also we assign the usable IPs to be the same as those two reseller nameservers. The two IP addresses entirely belong to one reseller account and can not be used by one else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista
Is there an option within WHM to manually setup the nameserver IPs, i have only found an auto assign facility?
No, but the best thing is: you don't have to. What we do is: we enter the nameservers in the reseller's account (ns1.reseller.com and ns2.reseller.com) and next to that are buttons to assign the IPs and to add an A entry. Simply enter the nameservers there but do not press those two buttons, just save it without assigning the IPs.

Next, go to edit dns zones and go to the main reseller's domain. In there, simply add the A-entries manually (ns1 IN A IP ADDRESS) - replace IP ADDRESS by the IP address that you'd want to use for that nameservers (and do the same thing for ns2).

Then go to your domain registrar and add the nameservers the way you do usually. Once these are propagated WHM will automatically recognize the nameservers, which comes down the same thing as using the IP assignment that you previously used.

So in other words, just don't use the cPanel features to assign the IP addresses for the nameservers.

Everything that I described can also be done using a script ofcourse, but I'll leave that up to you

Regards,

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 19:14   #13
vista
Customer

Excellent, that is what i needed to know - it all makes sense now. Thanks for your help
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 19:18   #14
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

You're welcome.

I'll move this entire thread to the Control panel forum, since that way others will be able to find all the information in this thread easier.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 12:17   #15
vista
Customer

Hey,

Just a quick question, assuming that resellers are given dedicated ips, what settings should be used for 'IP delegation' and 'Managed Main Shared/Ipless Ip'. By default they are set to all and the main server shared IP account but I'm guessing you may want to set these to the reseller's dedicated IP address?

Oh and when creating reseller accounts do you want to check the box enabled 'Make the new reseller own their own account.'?

Any thoughts appreciated
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 12:23   #16
Rickie
Customer

For the first I'd say if you have a dedicated IP use it for SSL, and clients use the main shared.

And make the reseller own the account

Just my 2
Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 12:41   #17
vista
Customer

Thanks for your reply Rickie, thinking about what you wrote i guess that does make sense.

I have a reseller account at a host (but don't actually resell reseller accounts - hence why i'm clueless about this ) and they actually give out 4 ips/account - dedicated IP for main domain, 1 for shared clients and 2 for nameservers - but i as far as i can tell this is not the normal way it is done. From a bit of research i've done it seems usually resellers get 2 ips - 1 for dedicated IP and 1 each for nameservers (dedicated and ns1 being the same) - and i guess the clients use the main shared IP - does this setup sound right?

Last edited by vista; Apr 9th, 2005 at 12:52.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 12:52   #18
Rickie
Customer

It does sound a wierd setup but quite generous.

Normally I'd say shared nameservers that you can set DNS to reflect your domain name with and a main shared IP then if you purchase one a dedicated for a secure site using SSL.

The way you put it as using the dedicated for 1 nameserver and the main shared as ns2 would even be viable so leaving 2 over. Is it possible that the other 2 are actually the shared namserver IP's?
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 13:08   #19
vista
Customer

Quote:
Is it possible that the other 2 are actually the shared namserver IP's?
For them? No they are just extremely generous with IPs.

xx.xx.xx.6 - dedicated IP for main domain
xx.xx.xx.7 - unique IP for clients shared IP
xx.xx.xx.8 - unique IP for ns1
xx.xx.xx.9 - unique IP for ns2

+ shared nameservers if you prefer!!

as you say weird but generous.

Back to the initial question, basically i've done so much work on this script i'm writing now that i'm considering releasing it, so i'm trying to get an idea of how most hosts setup their reselling clients - i think i've got most of it sorted out but i'm just not sure about IP allocation, i.e. how many they give out and how they are set up - because my reseller account is unusual i can't really draw on experience to know the answer.

Might be looking for a couple of beta testers as well if anyone's interested

Last edited by vista; Apr 9th, 2005 at 13:11.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 13:21   #20
Rickie
Customer

It does seem over generous, especially with the usual ARIN regulations on issuing of IP's!

Usual IP asignment is use of shared nameserver IP's and the main shared IP, but with an option to purchase dedicated IP's (which could be a lot if requested by clients for the likes of SSL use) so would need to acess a table of added/active IP's. HTH

And if you need some BETA testers I can try it out on a box for you