Go Back   SolidHost Forums Support Forums DNS Questions

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 20:52   #1
minx
Customer

Red face New domain registrations

Hi..

I would need to buy another domain to use the 'subdomain' feature is this right?
then point the nameservers to the usual location, then goto cpanel and park it?

i have a directory on my existing hosting account which i want this domain to point to (but not like a subdomain) just so we get : www.newdomain.com (but it's using my account which would be /home2/oldaccount/pub_html/usethisdir

would i need to buy another hosting acount aswell to use this new domain like above?

please advice, i'm happy with the subdomain though just wanted to know.
thanx

-M
minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 21:16   #2
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Hi Minx,

You wouldn't need to use the subdomain feature. A subdomain is (for instance): subdomain.yourdomain.com - I don't think that's what you're looking for.

If you have a reseller account you can just create a new account, or if you have a normal account you can use the Parked domain or Addon domain features (depending on your needs).

Indeed, you would have to use the same nameservers for your domain (keep in mind we have changed to the .solidhost.com nameservers recently), or you can use your own nameservers if you have a reseller account.

If you have any additional questions please let us know.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock

Last edited by SH-Andre; Dec 20th, 2004 at 21:19.
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 23:26   #3
minx
Customer

well, i've tried but the "subdomain.mysite.com" will not setup from cpanel, 'invalid domain name' so i'd have to buy another domain name?

-M
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 23:31   #4
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

I think it's best if you could open a support ticket about this issue, please make sure to include your username of your account and the details about this issue so we can reproduce this.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 01:09   #5
minx
Customer

support received and solved thanx

one question about redirects concerning subdomains, do i need it? will the subdomain "thisdir.mysite.com" automatically goto my 'thisdir' on my account?

i have placed a redirect on to point to a file - 'index.php' within my subdomain dir - this ok?

thankyou

-M
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 01:13   #6
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

No you won't have to use redirects, you would only have to use a redirect if you would want the subdomain to be redirected to a different location. Without the redirect it would simply resolve to the 'thisdir' directory in your account. As you will see: if you add a subdomain called 'thisdir' and if your domain is 'mysite.com', you will be able to visit the same page using both http://thisdir.mysite.com and http://www.mysite.com/thisdir.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock