Go Back   SolidHost Forums Sales Services

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 19:26   #1
edwinkersten
Customer

Default resolve problems?

hi guys,

posting it here, because i send it aswell to mail support@solidhost.nl and support@solidhost.com and received no email from the ticket system back nor were the tickets registered in the system. So this is the only way to reach someone.

================
Out of the blue today my sites was giving an error with a function that uses curl.
So i login to the server to check if someone touched it, and everything seemed fine.

Weird thing is, i cannot ping anything from the server, and i cannot reach any website from the server anymore??
This started today and hasnt happend yet, nothing was changed in the server config..

[root@wbsvr1 ~]# wget http://www.google.com
--18:59:04-- http://www.google.com/
Resolving www.google.com... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
[root@wbsvr1 ~]#

anything going on in the network that can cause this?
edwinkersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 20:22   #2
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Hi Edwin,

We've just tested the ticket system to make sure that everything works fine (both internally and externally) and everything works properly. It is most likely that your emails are going through your server, and that your server isn't able to resolve our domain names (solidhost.com and .nl). On a sidenote; it is also always possible to open a ticket through https://secure.solidhost.com/support

I see that in the meanwhile you have already opened a ticket - our techs are working on it and they will report back to you in that ticket.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 20:26   #3
edwinkersten
Customer

Hi andre,

well no, im mailing via gmail.com and it seems it allready works again, all of a sudden the emails were coming trough again also.

ill sort out the rest with support!

thanks
edwinkersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 20:46   #4
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Just to update in case our messages aren't coming through:

In /etc/resolv.conf you had set IPs outside of our network. Your server will use those IPs for IP resolving. That means if one (or both) of the IPs in that list aren't working, your server won't be able to resolve domains.

I recommend to use our own nameservers for that instead. I've provided the nameservers that you can use in the ticket.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote