Go Back   SolidHost Forums Sales Pre-Sales

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 22:31   #1
Aenarion
Customer

Default VPS e-mails etc pre-sale q

Hi,

I 'm considering to purchase 1 or more VPS services but I got some pre-sales questions before I do so.

1) I m thinking to provide an e-mail service to my clients. I got clients that they dont need websites but just an e-mail address. Is this possible? Is there a limit to how many e-mails per VPS or domain can be created?

What's the limitations for e-mails addresses? How big the e-mails can be? In my best knowledge smtp protocol has a limitation around 2 MB (cant remember the actual number)

2) For the above, which VPS server would you propose? Windows or Linux (mainly I got more experience with Linux, Apache and Cpanel). I m considering around 100 e-mail addresses in the first few months. Would the server be able to handle this?

3) How many domains can I setup per server?

4) I m mainly using oscommerce, CMS (expression engine). From what I read in the forums the server can support these.

5) What if I want to setup a specific driver eg. to support MS SQL server on php. Would that be possible?

6) In my best understanding the VPS server is shared. It's not 1 machine per service?

7) The last thing is that if I want to upgrade server or change server you can do this according to my request.

Regards

Last edited by Aenarion; Mar 12th, 2008 at 20:21.
Aenarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 21:08   #2
Aenarion
Customer

Any feedback would be appreciated

thanks
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 12:05   #3
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. We already responded to your email inquiry at sales@solidhost.com; here's a copy of our answers:

1. That is certainly possible. You could offer your clients full websites, but offering them email-only access is possible too. On a VPS there aren't really any limitations for things like email. The default max email size is usually 10MB, but it also possible to change this (we don't recommend to go over 10MB as most ISP's won't accept emails over 10MB).

2. If you are experienced with Linux/cPanel, I would highly recommend to with that. For 100 email addresses the Linux Starter VPS should be good enough.

3. For 10-25 normal websites, the Linux Starter VPS should be good enough, but it really depends on how big and how active each website is. If you would try to host google.com on a VPS, that wouldn't work - but assuming that we are talking about normal websites, the starter VPS should suffice.

As for simultaneous visitors; it's impossible to put any hard figures on that, because this completely depends on each website. A webpage with lots of databases takes up a lot more resources than a webpage with only some plain text.

4. There are no limitations when it comes to databases, except for your diskspace and ram usage.

5. Absolutely, that will not be a problem.

6. If you would get a Windows VPS, then that is possible, but on a Linux VPS with cPanel that's not possible.

7. The physical machine is basically devided into multiple Virtual Environments (VPS's), so the physical machine is indeed shared. However your environment by itself is not shared. It's basically like running multiple servers on 1 physical server.

8. Absolutely, you can upgrade at any time.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 15:58   #4
Aenarion
Customer

thanks for the answer

I dont know why but I didnt receive any e-mail from sales@solidhost.com. I dont have a spam filter.

Just 2 more things.

1. Do you have a limit on inodes per VPS? (files per VPS)

2. If I would be to move my service on a dedicated server from VPS, I understand that this is possible.

3. if there is equal CPU share?

thanks

Last edited by Aenarion; Mar 13th, 2008 at 16:00.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 22:44   #5
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

That's weird, we didn't get any bounces or anything like that. Let me answer your questions again:

1. Yes, however these are just for protection purposes. We can increase your inodes at any time if this is necessary.

2. That is indeed possible. You would just have to get Virtuozzo (with a 1-VE license) installed on your server and then we can migrate your VPS as a whole onto that dedicated server to run standalone. There are no costs involved with this, except the Virtuozzo licensing fees (€15/mo in this case - please note that this price might change in the future so for accurate pricing please contact our sales department when you need this).

3. Yes. The business plan gets 1.5 times the share of the starter plan, and the enterprise plan gets 2 times the share of the starter plan. So it's basically 1: 1.5: 2. Needless to say, every enterprise account takes up twice as many slots as each starter vps account, in order to make this system work as intended.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 12:21   #6
Aenarion
Customer

Is this offer still available? or now it's 2 months free for new customers?

http://forums.solidhost.com/showthread.php?t=475&page=2

thanks
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 14:27   #7
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

That offer isn't available anymore. When you pay yearly you do indeed receive 2 months free currently.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock