Go Back   SolidHost Forums Sales Pre-Sales

Old May 17th, 2007, 13:39   #1
iamback
Customer

Question Vat/btw?

One thing I cannot find on your site: are your prices inclusive or exclusive VAT (BTW)?
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 13:43   #2
SH-John
Customer

Hello,

Our prices are exclusive of VAT.

As you progress through the ordering process you will be given the total, including VAT.

Please let us know if we can assist you further.

-----------------
Best Regards,
John Strong
SolidHost Chief Operational Officer
SH-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 14:02   #3
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

I just wanted to add; you do not always have to pay vat. Here's a small overview:

Dutch clients
  • Individuals
    Always pay 19% VAT

• Businesses
    Always pay 19% VAT

Clients within the European Union (except the Netherlands)
  • Individuals
    Always pay 19% VAT

• Businesses
    Pay 0% VAT (please note that you must provide us your registered VAT ID)

Clients outside the European Union
  • Individuals
    Never pay VAT

• Businesses
    Never pay VAT

Hope this clarifies your question

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 19:29   #4
iamback
Customer

Question Which control panel?

Thanks both for the fast reactions! I'd suggest this information should be made available somewhere on the (main) site - or in a clearer place as I was unable to find it.

Unfortunately I don't have a business (at least not yet) and I live in the Netherlands. The 19% makes quite a hefty difference...

Another question if I may: I've been looking at the various control panels on offer; both cPanel and Plesk sound attractive but I find it hard to choose. I've never used a control panel before.

For now, I just have a number of (non-commercial) sites of my own, on a number of different domains (and subdomains) - most hosted on a VPS (through a Verio reseller). I may later offer hosting to customers. I'd like at least anti-spam features; anti-virus would be good.

Which control panel would you advise - and why?
Old May 17th, 2007, 20:35   #5
SH-John
Customer

Hello,

Yes, I don't think you will find many people who are happy about paying an extra 19%. Unfortunately there is very little we can do about that. We are currently giving free control panels on VPS products, you can find the product codes on our forum here. Although you still have to pay VAT, this is offset by the amount deducted for the control panel.

As for the control panel question, we could start a war by discussing such things. Everyone has their favorite for a variety of reasons. If you care what I personally think, then I prefer Plesk. It's developed by the same company as Virtuozzo, which is the software we use for VPS services. SWsoft have done a lot of work with Virtuozzo and Plesk integration.

On the other hand, cPanel is packed with features. If you are venturing into web hosting, you will find many clients will demand cPanel. It's the most widely used control panel and it is what we sell the most of.

As you are Dutch, you should also consider DirectAdmin. That's not to say it isn't suitable for non Dutch people, it's just a very popular control panel amongst the Dutch. DirectAdmin can allow you to make more custom changes than cPanel or Plesk, such as completely changing your apache version without a control panel upgrade.

As for anti-spam, spamassassin is included with cPanel. It comes with Plesk if you order the PowerPack addon. With DirectAdmin it has to be installed separately. As we are a managed host, we can take cake of that for you.

As for anti-virus and firewall, our technicians can help you secure your VPS when you first receive your login details. This includes installing various security software to keep your VPS secure.

-----------------
Best Regards,
John Strong
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:19   #6
MrDoom
Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Andre View Post
Clients within the European Union (except the Netherlands)
  • Individuals
    Always pay 19% VAT

• Businesses
    Pay 0% VAT (please note that you must provide us your registered VAT ID)
Hmm, 19% how come everyone in the EU has to pay that rate considering VAT (where I live [UK]) is 17.5% ?
MrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:02   #7
iamback
Customer

Default VAT differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoom View Post
Hmm, 19% how come everyone in the EU has to pay that rate considering VAT (where I live [UK]) is 17.5% ?
As I understand it that is because the actual sale is in the Netherlands.

If I go to a store in Germany, I pay the local (lower) VAT; if I go to a store in Belgium, I pay the local (even higher) VAT. This "store" (even if it's via a website) is located in the Netherlands.
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:55   #8
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
As I understand it that is because the actual sale is in the Netherlands.

If I go to a store in Germany, I pay the local (lower) VAT; if I go to a store in Belgium, I pay the local (even higher) VAT. This "store" (even if it's via a website) is located in the Netherlands.
That is correct.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 19:10   #9
iamback
Customer

Question spamassassin & other security

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-John View Post
As you are Dutch, you should also consider DirectAdmin. (...)

As for anti-spam, spamassassin is included with cPanel. It comes with Plesk if you order the PowerPack addon. With DirectAdmin it has to be installed separately. As we are a managed host, we can take cake of that for you.
So I had another look at DirectAdmin - but from their site (notably several forum messages like this one) I deduce that spamassassin is actually included with DirectAdmin (or at least directly supported).

Confused now...

I'm also coming across mentions of security problems with cPanel (like several references to problems here) - would you also take care of these or at least assist with locking down such vulnerabilities?
Old May 21st, 2007, 19:26   #10
SH-John
Customer

Hello,

It's supported in the sense that DirectAdmin and Spam Assassin can work together, it needs to be first installed separately and then some changes need to be made. With cPanel it comes already installed and the same with Plesk(with the powerpack addon)

cPanel is commonly associated to have more security issues than other control panels, this is simply not true. Not when the features are compared anyway. The list you provided includes many of the things we install for you. BFD is not so useful after the SSH port has changed and direct root login is disabled. BFD can also cause a high load on your VPS, causing it to become unstable.

Don't worry, we setup many VPS each day and although we can't promise your VPS will NEVER be hacked, we can do our best to prevent it and make it as hard as possible for the attacker.

-----------------
Best Regards,
John Strong