Go Back   SolidHost Forums Sales Pre-Sales

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:43   #1
Paul Huizer
Customer

Default Win VPS Resources required

Hello,

I would like to start using a VPS for a DOTNETNUKE like configuration (Windows2003/ASP.NET/SQLServer2005).

I have the following questions:
- What system resources are required to run the above configuration in terms of itnernal RAM?
- What CPU capacity is required?
- How may VPS-es are configured on one server? If this is flexible or "it depends", how is it possible to get some guarantee on available resources for my application?
- Is it a weird option to work with SQL Server Express installed on the VPS as well? How much ram would this require? Or should I opt for another SQL2005 solution?

Thanx for your reply,

Paul
Paul Huizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:11   #2
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your inquiry.

- For the configuration you described, I think that 384mb RAM would be your best bet. However, if you'd like you can get a free trial account for a few days so you can test your setup and analyze how much RAM you really need. It might just turn out that you only need 256mb ram, for instance. This way you can make a better decision as to what plan you should order.

To get a trial account, please contact sales@solidhost.com with your full details (name, address, email, phone, etc) and the VPS plan and control panel of your choice, then you will receive the trial account as soon as possible.

- You don't have to worry about CPU capacity really, each VPS is very powerful. You will be able to see that in the trial too.

- We host a maximum of 10 VPS's per server, but it also depends on the size of each VPS. An Enterprise VPS counts for 2 Starter VPS's.

Furthermore: all resources are guaranteed. The RAM that comes with your VPS is guaranteed to be available at all times, and the same applies to all other resources.

- It's certainly not weird to work with SQL Server Express. As a matter of fact; the majority of our customers work with it. It's a very suitable solution for usage on a VPS, and best of all: it's free.

Please note that Helm doesn't support SQL Server express, so if you need a control panel, make sure to select Plesk. Also keep in mind that in order to use SQL Server (any edition) in Plesk, you need the PowerPack.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:48   #3
Paul Huizer
Customer

Thanks for the swift and clear reply.

As far as the CPU availability goes, the following is clear enough for me!

- We host a maximum of 10 VPS's per server, but it also depends on the size of each VPS. An Enterprise VPS counts for 2 Starter VPS's.

I assume that if I start with a starter VPS, an upgrade to enterprise will be possible if I run into the situation where the CPU is the bottleneck?

As for the rest of my questions, all clear!

I´ll have a further look in the packages SolidHost offers and come back on this topic ...

Paul
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:52   #4
Paul Huizer
Customer

Another question ...

- In case I need it ... the RAM in the starter package can be extended to 384MB? Or even further?

Paul
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 13:14   #5
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Hi Paul,

Yes, the Enterprise plan comes with more CPU availability than the starter plan. This is based on a fair-share principle:

Each VPS comes with a certain amount of CPU units:

Starter plan: 1000 CPU units
Business plan: 1500 CPU units
Enterprise plan: 2000 CPU units

Now when 2 starter VPS's both try to use 100% CPU (and the other VPS's on the server are idle), it's a 1000:1000 ratio, meaning that each of these 2 starter VPS's will get 50% of the total CPU availability.

When 1 starter VPS and 1 enterprise VPS both try to use 100% CPU, it's a 1000:2000 ratio. This means that the starter VPS receives 33% and the enterprise VPS receives 67% of the total CPU availability.

Also, when all other VPS's are idle, you can simply use 100% of the total CPU capacity. And if all VPS's are busy, you can still use a significant amount of CPU capacity (it'll certainly not cause any kind of lags or anything like that).

Regarding RAM upgrades: yes it's possible to upgrade the RAM on the starter VPS as much as you need. However, upgrading the package as a whole is (relatively) cheaper than when you'd upgrade all resources one by one. If you ever need an upgrade, just contact sales@solidhost.com and we'll work this out with you.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 14:38   #6
Paul Huizer
Customer

Andre,

Tanx for the explanation. The CPU units system sounds easy and effeticve. Important though is how many cpu units one vps gets in relation to all other cpu units handed out to all the other VPS on the same server. And that question you already answered earlier. Perfect.

Upgrades ... one component by one vs complete upgrades. Ok, sounds logic. We´ll talk later then ;-)

One thing I don´t understand yet is why you are convinced that the CPU will not be the bottleneck anyway. What in your experience normally IS the bottleneck resource on Windows with a databse on it? Is it RAM, datatraffic, harddisk, backup capcaity ... ??

Paul
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 18:39   #7
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Huizer View Post
One thing I don´t understand yet is why you are convinced that the CPU will not be the bottleneck anyway. What in your experience normally IS the bottleneck resource on Windows with a databse on it? Is it RAM, datatraffic, harddisk, backup capcaity ... ??
Usually RAM is the primary bottleneck. Second comes the I/O speed of the harddrives (although there is plenty of that available too - we simply make sure of that).

Surely anyone could just say that, but we have a good reason to actually make sure that that's true: if our VPS's would lag because of things like that, our customers wouldn't be happy and leave elsewhere. We obviously wouldn't want that to happen. Moreover; I can assure you that our customers are happy with our services.

The only way to find out about the speed is to give it a shot really (you can just get the free trial account and see what it's like).

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 13:23   #8
Paul Huizer
Customer

Thanx again Andre. I will indeed go and ask sales for a trial period. I´ll do so next week or the week after that. If the trial time is limited I need to make sure that I have time to actually work on testing it.

I found in your forum somewhere how the actual memory usage can be obtained. A tutorial written by SH-John I believe.

Sorry ... some additional questions regarding the software:
- I´ll need SQLSrvr2005. SQLSrverExpress would do fine to start with (MSDE not since that´s older). Is that something SH installs / manages?
- Whats the easiest/suggested way to get a couple of mailboxes, I would need tops 5 boxes or so? With my previous hosting packages that has alwasy been included in the offerings, but I assume that is different when getting a VPS?
- Remote desktop would work?
- File transfer using FTP?

Managed ... Does Solid Host also manage the OS software including standard compontents such as IIS, SQLSrver, maybe some mail server? How should I see that?

Paul
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 13:53   #9
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

- We can install SQL Server Express for you, that's all covered by our server management without additional fees.

- The easiest and suggested way to setup mailboxes and things like that, is by getting a control panel with your VPS, like Plesk (you could also use Helm, but Helm doesn't support SQL Express). Plesk is available for just €5 per month and it basically pre-installs everything you need to get started.

- Remote desktop with full administrator access is included

- If you get a control panel (e.g. Plesk), an FTP daemon will come pre-installed.

We do indeed manage the OS, you won't have to install any Windows Updates as that is completely managed on our end (at the host server).

As for IIS, SQL, mailserver, DNS, and so on: that is fully covered by our management, but only if you get your VPS with a control panel (Plesk or Helm).

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock