Go Back   SolidHost Forums » Support Forums » DNS Questions

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 16:21   #1
andre
Customer

Default Assigning ips to domains

I got some ips (i'm on a vps) and i need to know how do i assign certain ips to certain domains ?
Right now i'm using my nameservers for all of them

I want to know as i will buy new domains and i want to spread them thru the ips i got. I want to re-assign some i already have online too so i need to make sure about this.
DirectAdmin as control panel by the way.

Let me know
Thanks
andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:10   #2
SH-Alex
SolidHost Crew

Wink

You can assign ip from DirectAdmin. Hopefully the below steps will help:

While logged in as admin, do the following:

1. Switch to the Reseller Level panel.
2. Click the List Users link.
3. Click the Modify your own User data link.
4. Using the “Set IP To” drop down list, select the IP address for the main site.
5. Click the Save button.

-----------------
Best Regards,
Alex Harrison
SolidHost Engineer
SH-Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 14:57   #3
andre
Customer

Ok i see the ips under the reseller section in "list user"
What do i do from there?
I can select the ip i whish from the drop down menu under "set IP to" but where do i put the domain ?
Example, IP 11.11.111.111 assigned to mydomain1.com
11.11.111.112 assigned to mydomain2.com
etc... as i wish and as new domains are added.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 20:21   #4
andre
Customer

Hi
I didn't get back to me about this issue
(2 emails sent so far)
Re[2]: [HRW-69212]: Assigning IPs to domains

So i'll put this is here also.

I see the ips under my account.
What do i do from now on ?
I can select the ip as i whish from the drop down menu (under "set IP
to"/reseller level) but where do i put the domain to associate it with the Ips ?
Example: 11.11.111.111 assigned to mydomain1.com
11.11.111.111 assigned to mydomain2.com
etc... as i wish and as new domains are bought.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 22:13   #5
SH-Andre
SolidHost Crew

Hi Andre,

In ticket HRW-69212 we did respond to you, however it looks like your latest response to use was empty. Please login through the ticket system and you'll be able to see.

Apologies for not getting back to you on here though. I'll ask Alex to follow up on this matter.

-----------------
Andre van Vliet
SolidHost Administrators

Solid as a Rock
SH-Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 23:02   #6
SH-Alex
SolidHost Crew

Wink

Hi,

You can not assign ip directly to particular domain. As admin, you could assign another IP to the reseller. when the reseller creates the user account, this IP can then be assigned to the user. this would mean re-creating the account.

Otherwise - assign a free IP to admin, then as admin, list all users, select the user of interest, choose to modify the user, and there should be
an option to change the IP using any of those owned by admin.

-----------------
Best Regards,
Alex Harrison
SolidHost Engineer

Last edited by SH-Alex; Dec 4th, 2007 at 00:38.
SH-Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 16:41   #7
andre
Customer

Ok here is what i tried.

As admin, selected "List all users" and saw "admin" only with all the domains on the right (all of them assigned to the main ip). I don't see any "modify" link or button to click. So i can't go ahead to look for "option to change IP"

Let me know
Thanks
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 20:50   #8
SH-Ramon
SolidHost Crew

Shared IPs
A shared IP is an IP address that more than one User can be assigned to. for example, you were having a Reseller name "test" is using "11.11.111.111" for name-based hosting.
That is, he could create unlimited web sites that resolve to that IP address.

Private IPs
A private IP is an IP address allocated to one User only. For example, Reseller (test) owns "11.11.111.111", which is the IP address of his main web site (Resellers are also Users).
reseller can use private IP addresses as dedicated or static IP addresses. The Admin "owns" all the IP addresses in the table (except for servers main IPs). Admin controls how they are used.

Free IPs
A free IP is an IP address not in use by any User. The Reseller can make it owned by a single User (to give that site its own dedicated IP address) or the Reseller can make it shared (and host many sites from that IP address).
for example, "11.11.111.112" is free IP and owned by the Reseller test2, then test2 reseller can create unlimited websites that resolve to that IP address["11.11.111.112"].

For Changing IP Settings
You need to Add IP Address first using IP manager which IP addresses you want to allocated to your server.
To add an IP address, type it in at the top of the screen and click the "Add IP" button. The IP address will then appear in the table with free status.

The NetMask value is usually 255.255.255.0 but you may change this as needed.

You can not assign ip directly to particular domain. You need to assign an IP address to a Reseller. You can add new ip address from Admin Tools >> IP Management >> Add IP option, after adding new IP address place a check next to the IP address(es) you want to assign and then select the Reseller name from the dropdown menu. Then, click "Assign to."
Once you assign the IP to the reseller, when ever that reseller creates any user account, this IP can automatically assigned to the user.
Please note that you cannot assign an IP address that is currently owned by a different Reseller.
For example, you could not assign 11.11.111.111 to test3 because test1 is the Reseller currently owning it. We would first have to remove the IP address from test1.

Last edited by SH-Ramon; Dec 4th, 2007 at 20:57.
SH-Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 21:14   #9
andre
Customer

When i tried to add the ips i got on file, it gave me an error.

I got 5 to add, well at least what i got on a previous email.

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 21:40   #10
SH-Ramon
SolidHost Crew

I checked and all the IP already add in your "IP Management", as you haven't created any reseller due to which you are not able to use the particular IP. First create a reseller assign new IP address to that particular reseller and create an account under that reseller the different IP address automatically assigned to that new account.
SH-Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote